ABOUT THE ROLE
The Vermont Cheese Council (VCC) is looking for someone to help develop and run our education programs. With support from the Executive Director and our volunteer education committee, you will be responsible for planning and program execution for current programming and as well as new initiatives. Our educational resources are used by cheesemakers and cheese producers in Vermont, across the U.S., and even across the globe. If you are good at visualizing how multiple moving components and people need to come together to complete a project, love learning, and like thinking about how what you do fits into “the bigger picture” – this might be the role for you.
This position will be hourly and remote, reporting to the Executive Director (ED). Initially, this will be a 10+ month, part-time role requiring a commitment of 30 hours per week, with the possibility of growth/expansion beyond that.
The VCC is a membership-based nonprofit that provides community, education, and business support for cheesemakers, both in Vermont and beyond. Our members include Vermont cheesemakers, as well as the retail shops, restaurants, distributors, state-level parties, and other stakeholders whom they depend upon for their success. We represent the $650+ million Vermont Cheese brand – including cheese producers of every scale, each of which works together through our organization to embrace a culture of mutual support in service of the common good. The Vermont Cheese Council is an equal opportunity employer.
WHY WORK FOR US
Working with us puts you right in the heart of the world-renowned Vermont cheese industry. In this role, your work will help farmers and cheese producers – providing a mix of cheesemaking and business educational support to help keep Vermont and the broader global working agricultural landscape vibrant. The role affords a great deal of flexibility in what you do and how you do it. If you love coordinating group activities and event planning – but aren’t sure you have all the experience we are looking for, please know we hope to help the right person for this role be able to grow to fit it as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management & Coordination of Education Events & Programs
- Works with the ED and education committees to help plan for, coordinate, and manage education events and programs hosted by VCC to improve the cheesemaking and business acumen of our members. This includes coordinating and expanding our existing, virtual Winter Artisan Cheesemakers Conference; coordinating VCC’s hosting of expert cheese trainers from (likely) out-of-country for in-person/in-state professional cheesemaking training; developing of our new cheesemakers resource hub; and expanding VCC’s business-skills-training resources for cheese-producing-business owners and staff. Many of these programs are new for VCC. As part of the coordinator’s efforts to develop them from the ground up, the candidate for this role will develop program planning schedules, coordinate with internal and external partners to ensure programs are successfully executed, manage program ticket sales/registration and participant communications, recruit and support relationships with trainers/speakers/program partners, manage our online education platforms/conference tools, and make sure all of our logistical i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed so that each educational event runs without a hitch!
- Provide written content and schedule inputs to help promote VCC’s educational programming
- Help communicate with our membership to help them understand how to take advantage of educational opportunities
- Coordinate with the ED to contribute to VCC’s public, event, and partnership communication strategy – to ensure our education and organizational goals align
Program Performance Projections & Assessments
- Work with the ED to develop projections for/tracking of education program finances and to assist with education program impact reporting
- Experienced with project management, education program development, and/or event planning
- Self-motivated, independent, and able to thrive with autonomy
- Enjoy taking in ideas from multiple contributors about what to do on a project, then diving into planning and getting into the details to see an experience/project come together smoothly
- Comfortable hosting meetings with Zoom or tech savvy nature with willingness to learn online conference/education facilitation skills
- Excited about supporting sustainable food systems and working landscapes
- Love working with people
- Strong written and verbal communicator
- Strong organizational skills; able to juggle multiple projects at once
- Able to travel to attend meetings throughout Vermont as needed
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Nice to have (but not dealbreakers if you don’t have them!):
- Professional cheesemaking experience
- Experience facilitating/mediating online educational programs
COMPENSATION This position is part-time hourly for 28-30 hours of work per week. Anticipated compensation $22-26/hr. Benefits include flex time, holidays, and paid vacation.
LOCATION The Vermont Cheese Council is headquartered in Waitsfield, Vermont. This position will be remote, requiring occasional travel within Vermont throughout the year. Ideally, our candidate would be located in/near Vermont.
TO APPLY Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A resume
- TWO references who can help you show off your organizing skills, letting us know what their relationship to you is
- And either in a cover letter or in your application email, tell us briefly why you are interested in this role and answer these two questions:
- Do you have a favorite kind of puzzle?
- Tell us briefly about a recent thing you dove in to learn more about: What sparked your curiosity, how did you tackle learning more, what did you find most interesting about what you learned?