ABOUT THE ROLE
The Vermont Cheese Council (VCC) provides community, education, and business support for Vermont’s cheesemakers. We are in the process of expanding our programs, and the individual in this role will be a vital part of enabling these expansions into 2023 and beyond. The person in this role will help drive efforts to broaden our funding sources and create meaningful partnerships with underwriters, sponsors, grant providers, and other benefactors. Your efforts will support the sustainability of VCC, success of farmers and cheese producers throughout the region, and the sustainability of the region’s farms and food production systems.
This position will be hourly and remote, reporting to the Executive Director (ED). Initially, this will be a 12-month, part-time role requiring a commitment of 20 hours per week, with the possibility of growth/expansion.
The VCC is a membership-based, 501(c)6 nonprofit that supports cheesemakers, both in Vermont and beyond. Our members include Vermont cheesemakers, as well as the retail shops, restaurants, distributors, state-level parties, and other stakeholders upon whom they depend for their success. We represent the $650 million Vermont Cheese brand – including cheese producers of every scale, each of which works together through our organization to embrace a culture of mutual support in service of the common good. The Vermont Cheese Council is an equal opportunity employer.
WHY WORK FOR US
Working with us puts you right in the heart of the world-renowned Vermont cheese industry. In this role, your work will positively impact farmers and cheese producers – supporting their businesses while helping to keep Vermont’s working agricultural landscape vibrant. The role affords flexibility in what you do and how you do it. You will be working to develop the foundation of our development strategies at VCC, starting from the ground up!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Funding Strategy Development & Execution
- Working with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, you will create and execute development tools and strategies to meet both short- and long-term financial objectives. You will identify specific target funding audiences, identify and perform outreach and activities that engage those sources, and guide strategy to cultivate those relationships. The individual in this role will also help align development efforts with the VCC’s activities, programs, and events – helping identify how all revenue sources can together support the organization.
Development Toolkit Creation and Maintenance
- Responsible for developing and maintaining marketing/outreach materials, relationship management/tracking/reporting tools, and processes to support funder/audience engagement strategies.
Funder Relationship Cultivation
- Work with the Executive Director, board members, and other stakeholders to cultivate and maintain relationships with existing and potential funding sources. This includes outreach, communications, grant writing, reporting and relationship management activities.
VCC Communications Support
- Support communications efforts that link to VCC funder opportunities and relationship building in the public eye. This includes assisting with our public-facing newsletter and contributing content and messaging related to VCC’s website (and other communications tools, as pertinent to the development strategies this individual determines are valuable to pursue).
- Experienced development professional with successful grant writing, sponsorship, and relationship cultivation track record
- Experienced creating and managing relationship cultivation processes and tools
- Comfortable creating, managing, and exporting fundraising/development reports
- Strong communications and story-telling skills
- Self-motivated, thrive with autonomy
- Interested in supporting mission-oriented work to support food production and farming systems
- Able to travel to attend meetings throughout the state or regional occasionally for meetings as needed
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Nice to have:
- 501(c)6 experience
- Financial planning experience
COMPENSATION This position is part-time hourly for 20 hours of work per week. Anticipated rate: $24/hr. Benefits include flex time, holidays, and paid vacation.
LOCATION: The Vermont Cheese Council is headquartered in Waitsfield, Vermont. This position is remote, and it may require occasional travel within Vermont or the region. Ideally, our candidate will be in/near Vermont.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter explaining why you are interested in this role, and 3 references (including their relationship to you) to firstname.lastname@example.org.